Wednesday, October 14, 2015

First time and veteran sex-ed protesting parents united in October 1 student strike


ONTARIO, October 13, 2015 (LifeSiteNews) – Alain Achkar was getting his two children ready for school early in the morning of October 1 when a text came in from parents he knew through his Ottawa Maronite parish.

They said they were pulling their children out of school that day – as part of the province-wide strike organized by the parents’ rights organization, Canadian Families Alliance, to protest the Liberal government’s controversial sex-ed curriculum.

“I usually leave with my children at 7:30 a.m., so by 7:20 I had to make a decision,” the father of a five and seven-year-old enrolled in the Conseil d’Ecole Catholique du Centre-Est district school told LifeSiteNews.

“As a Catholic, I promised to bring up my children in the Catholic faith,” he added, “And I don’t want to expose them to anything that would be contradictory to my faith and their faith.”

Although the Lebanon-born Achkar had heard about the sex-ed curriculum on the news, “I just kind of thought there was nothing that people could do,” he said. “I’m not very activist.”

But since then, he had researched the curriculum and heard about the ongoing student strike in Toronto’s Thorncliffe Park.

That’s the Muslim neighborhood in Premier Kathleen Wynne’s Don Valley West riding where since September 8, a group of parents have been holding a student strike against the sex-ed curriculum, and have now vowed to keep their kids out for October with this singular determination inspiring the CFA’s October 1 province-wide strike.

So at the last minute, Achkar opted to stay home with his children.

“I am glad that I did it,” he said, “because for the first time in my life I am doing something, you know, taking a position, as a Catholic and as a citizen. I think I have a right to do it.”  (more...)

No comments:

Post a Comment