Wednesday, August 6, 2014

THE CHARISMATIC MOVEMENT AND SPIRITUAL TEMPTATION


Since the turn of 20th century a spiritual movement emphasizing a second “baptism” has spread across the globe. Chances are, you have seen or read about people who claim to “speak in tongues,” “prophesy,” “perform miracles,” and other spiritual works. I have experienced this movement first-hand, having not only been a “Pentecostal” evangelist and pastor, but also having been raised in a “Pentecostal” pastor’s home. Both my grandfathers were also “Pentecostal” ministers. So not only was I a “PK” (Pastor’s kid), but so was my dad. I was raised in a Protestant denomination known as the Assemblies of God (or AG). The AG is the largest “Pentecostal” denomination in the world. It was founded in 1914 in Hot Springs, Arkansas and has spread throughout the world since that time due to a strong missionary thrust (which is something I hope to deal with in a future article). Having graduated from the “national” AG Bible College (now University) and founded an AG so-called “church”, and traveled to numerous states (and even other countries) preaching in AG so-called “churches,” I am amply equipped to discuss the larger “Pentecostal” and “Charismatic” movements as such.

This article is the first in a series of articles in which I want to discuss the Charismatic Movement, a movement which began around 1960 and was built on the tenets of Pentecostalism. My reason for concern with this movement is due to its penetration into the Catholic Church.  (more...)

No comments:

Post a Comment